I've just got to share the good stuff I read.

I love to read. I read every chance I get. If I read something really good, I want to share it with my friends and co-workers. I make copies of magazine articles, read aloud to my students, tell others about good books I'm reading, and keep a book with me at all times.

I love teaching and learning new things. I need a place to share some of the lessons and what my students and I learn. Since my teaching situation is different from everyone else's in my school, I would like to tell all of you in the blog-o-sphere about these great lessons.

Feel free to share what you are reading, teaching and learning with us in the comments.

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Wool Appliqué-Embroidery Sampler


This sampler started on February 1st with 30 circles of wool felt.
I whipped them to a fat quarter of quilting cotton because I did not have a large piece of wool.


I used all kinds of thread for the embroidery including pearl cotton from DMC.
After the embroidery was done I used the pearl cotton to quilt the backing and batting to the sample.
I bought variegated Elaganza pearl cotton from a local vendor.
I love using variegated thread!


The quilting was finished yesterday.

I basted the quilt sandwich along the top, bottom, sides and across the middle.
Then I made big stitches vertically from basting threads to basting threads.


I trimmed the backing and batting 1/4 inch beyond the big stitches.


Below is how I trimmed the back by flipping the edges of the top out of the way.


I used this needle for the big stitches.
The large eye was easy to thread.
The sharp point helped me stitch through all the layers  


I put triangles on the corners to use later when hanging the sampler.
Mini clips are holding everything in place.


The front fabric was trimmed to 7/8 inch all around.


The corner triangles are made from 5 inch squares of solid cotton 
that sort of match the wool circles on the front.


For me it is not a finish until it has a label.
Yes, the stitches show on the back.
I don't care since this will be hanging on the wall and won't show.


I folded the front around to the back and whipped it down like quilt binding.
I made sure to stitch through all the layers except the front.


Ta-Da! It is finished!
So much fun.
Now it will live on the wall in my sewing room to remind me of stitches I can do.


Each circle is one day of the stitch along.
Day #1 is on the top right.
The numbers go right to left until the last day on the far left at the bottom.











 

1 comment:

  1. Seriously....Emily and I have been sitting here enlarging the circles and absolutely admiring the stitching. I chuckled when I read that it's not finished until there is a label. I proceeded to tell Em how you labeled books with "EEF Funds, 2010" or file cabinets with CATE and your room number. That's YOU!.

    ReplyDelete