I've just got to share the good stuff I read.

I love to read. I read every chance I get. If I read something really good, I want to share it with my friends and co-workers. I make copies of magazine articles, read aloud to my students, tell others about good books I'm reading, and keep a book with me at all times.

I love teaching and learning new things. I need a place to share some of the lessons and what my students and I learn. Since my teaching situation is different from everyone else's in my school, I would like to tell all of you in the blog-o-sphere about these great lessons.

Feel free to share what you are reading, teaching and learning with us in the comments.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sick.Of.It.

I am sick of the ridiculous testing that we are doing to our kids. Second grade teachers say it is making their students feel like failures. How can you learn when you think you are stupid? We have got to stop this testing craziness. I read an article about teaching content deeply versus teaching to the test. In the short term the teachers who focused on the test had higher scores than those who taught in depth. BUT the students who were in the deep content classes did better later when they got to college and had to think and be more independent learners.

So, what are we doing? Just the opposite of what helps students learn. AYYYYY!

What can I do about it? Try to make a difference in my little room. Work on a district or higher level to change the testing focus. Encourage the professionals I work with do more deep content. I read that 20 minutes a day was all the test prep time needed to be ready for these tests. Why can't we really teach interesting, student centered content the rest of the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment