I've just got to share the good stuff I read.

I love to read. I read every chance I get. If I read something really good, I want to share it with my friends and co-workers. I make copies of magazine articles, read aloud to my students, tell others about good books I'm reading, and keep a book with me at all times.

I love teaching and learning new things. I need a place to share some of the lessons and what my students and I learn. Since my teaching situation is different from everyone else's in my school, I would like to tell all of you in the blog-o-sphere about these great lessons.

Feel free to share what you are reading, teaching and learning with us in the comments.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Never stop learning

Reflecting on recent events, I've learned some things about myself. I was feeling down as I administered English proficiency tests the whole month of April. I had a presentation to prepare and couldn't get excited about it.

I asked for time off to go to the conference and just put the paperwork in the 'in box'. Should have known better. An explanation always goes down better but I was busy testing and didn't take the time.

Then I got fussed at for being gone too much. Wasn't given a chance to say I was going to present a session at an international conference. The selection process is very exacting and this was the first time that one of my proposals had been accepted by this international professional organization.

During the month I was singled out in staff meetings with the statement that if our enrollment increases I will have to move out of my room. Have you seen my room? Two sofas, five large tables, and thousands of books.

All this to say, I was not feeling very competent as a professional and especially not as a presenter.

I didn't realize how much I need affirmation. I guess everyone does. I don't have to be at the top of the heap but I do like to be given a pat on the back.

So I sent an email to all the bosses letting them know about being asked to present a session at an important conference.

And my friend Vicki took up the trumpet and sweetly announced that I was going to be a presenter at the conference and sent me off with gifts.

I had told myself that this would be my final presentation, that I was getting too old to keep this up.

After the session was over and participants thanked me for an informative and engaging session, I realized that I still have ideas to share.

I love to talk to groups of teachers.

I love to exchange ideas with other professionals.

I'm not done yet.

And I need the affirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment