I've just got to share the good stuff I read.

I love to read. I read every chance I get. If I read something really good, I want to share it with my friends and co-workers. I make copies of magazine articles, read aloud to my students, tell others about good books I'm reading, and keep a book with me at all times.

I love teaching and learning new things. I need a place to share some of the lessons and what my students and I learn. Since my teaching situation is different from everyone else's in my school, I would like to tell all of you in the blog-o-sphere about these great lessons.

Feel free to share what you are reading, teaching and learning with us in the comments.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Middle Grade Spooky Books


Remember last summer I attended the International Literacy Association convention in St. Louis? Well, I have been slowly reading through the bag of free kids books I was given there. I recently finished these two spooky middle grade books. 

I read A Curious Tale of the In-Between first. I'm not a big fan of horror and this one started off a little creepy. But the story was interesting and different so I read on. The main character sees dead people or at least their ghosts. She can talk to them, too. She has been friends with a ghost boy for most of her life. When a strange woman finds out about her abilities, the girl is abducted. The story of her escape and the fate of her ghost friend were satisfying to read.

Next I read Took, a Ghost Story. It was even more creepy. Sometimes I had to put the book down it was so creepy. Again a girl is abducted by a strange woman. This time the girl's brother is her rescuer. I'm not sure what type readers would enjoy this book. It had a great ending but getting there was creeping me out. 

Do you recommend books to your students, co-workers, or friends? How do you decide what book fits a reader? These two books are more difficult to read than most of my students can attempt but I know someone out there likes spooky books, so I'm suggesting these to you. 




If you enjoy them, let me know.
Til next time,
Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment