I've just got to share the good stuff I read.

I love to read. I read every chance I get. If I read something really good, I want to share it with my friends and co-workers. I make copies of magazine articles, read aloud to my students, tell others about good books I'm reading, and keep a book with me at all times.

I love teaching and learning new things. I need a place to share some of the lessons and what my students and I learn. Since my teaching situation is different from everyone else's in my school, I would like to tell all of you in the blog-o-sphere about these great lessons.

Feel free to share what you are reading, teaching and learning with us in the comments.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Wrapped up summer school


This year it seemed that ESL summer school went by in a flash. The older group got along well, enjoyed playing some new games like 'Spot It', and read lots of books. Two Chinese girls, four Hispanic girls, one Chinese boy, and three Hispanic boys laughed and teased and had fun together. They were so funny taking photos of each other with their cell phones before they left today.
The other four teachers did a great job engaging their groups with interesting, enriching activities. They were much more patient with the younger students than I am. I loved talking about the kindergarten group with my daughter. She's a natural teacher, observing and adjusting instruction to fit the students. I'm grateful to friends like Karen and Vicki who gave up their summer to help a group of kids that needed their expert teaching.
Sandra, the other ESL teacher, and I sent a survey about the length of summer school home with some of the students. We were thinking about shortening summer school to two or three weeks instead of four. Surprise! The students and their families chose four weeks of summer school. A couple of parents even asked if we could go for six weeks.

1 comment:

  1. We had FUN working with the posse all together in House A.
    Maybe we could start a reality show...then again, do I really want the world to see me clinching my fists when repeating something for...as my mother woud say..."the umpteenth time". LOL!!
    Thanks for letting us be a part.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete