I've just got to share the good stuff I read.

I love to read. I read every chance I get. If I read something really good, I want to share it with my friends and co-workers. I make copies of magazine articles, read aloud to my students, tell others about good books I'm reading, and keep a book with me at all times.

I love teaching and learning new things. I need a place to share some of the lessons and what my students and I learn. Since my teaching situation is different from everyone else's in my school, I would like to tell all of you in the blog-o-sphere about these great lessons.

Feel free to share what you are reading, teaching and learning with us in the comments.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Funny Recollections

More Tuesday memories with mom.

She started talking about her year on a Virginia farm when she lived with her aunt and uncle. She and her twin brother went to live on the farm because food and money were scarce in Brookhaven. She cried sometimes at meals in Virginia because there was so much food and she knew they were hungry back home.

Her uncle was a postman/farmer. Their farm grew everything they needed except coffee and sugar, so the story goes. Mom remembered that when they were heading back home, her aunt asked if she wanted to stay a little longer because the king and queen of England were coming to visit the US in a few months. Recently Mom googled the royal visit and found out it was 1938. So she and uncle John had come the year before when they were twelve.

She said the two of them were very homesick the whole time they were there. Then she started remembering the games and silliness of living with seven siblings. Younger sister Becky was a dare-devil. She would hang by her knees from the rafters in the barn and she would 'skin-the-cat' on a pipe lodged between the pickets of the fence where the fence was about 6 feet high.

The four girls would play jacks and convince their three brothers to play, too. Then the girls would have to play mumbly peg with the boys. This game consisted of flipping a pen knife into the dirt from different points on the body-wrist, elbow, shoulder, head. The loser had to pull out a matchstick with his/her teeth that the winners pounded into the dirt with the pen knife. Mom said she always hoped that they would be called to supper before the end of the game.

Grandmother Corona was a member of all the ladies' clubs in town until one fateful day. She came home and found that the girls had locked the boys out of the house and were splashing water on the boys when they tried to open the screen door. (Mom was pretty sure Betty headed up this operation.)
After that day when asked to join the bridge club, WMU, or garden club ladies Corona told everyone  that she could not come because she had to look after the seven heathens at her house. Mom said the kids were often called 'heathens' by their mom.

Some of the games she remembered playing were hopscotch, devil in the ditch, who's got the button, and monopoly. On hot days they played on the shady porch on the cool concrete.

I asked about the main businesses in Brookhaven. My grandfather had a law practice and an interest in a lumber company. The next door neighbor, Daisy, worked in the office of the other lumber company in town. Mom said the office was above the Rexall Drugstore. So Daisy knew when any of the seven little Sauls kids was sick. She would order a milkshake for the invalid. It would be delivered by a boy on a bicycle who held the the shake in one hand balanced on a platter. Impressive to a sick kid, I'm sure.

That's about it for this memory lane trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment