I've just got to share the good stuff I read.

I love to read. I read every chance I get. If I read something really good, I want to share it with my friends and co-workers. I make copies of magazine articles, read aloud to my students, tell others about good books I'm reading, and keep a book with me at all times.

I love teaching and learning new things. I need a place to share some of the lessons and what my students and I learn. Since my teaching situation is different from everyone else's in my school, I would like to tell all of you in the blog-o-sphere about these great lessons.

Feel free to share what you are reading, teaching and learning with us in the comments.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

When I was a kid...

I was remembering playing with my brothers when we were kids. Every Easter we each got a stuffed bunny in our Easter basket. The bunnies were named really original names like "Girl Bunny" and "Boy Bunny". For some reason my younger brother's bunny was named "Dirty Bunny". I know that wasn't its first name but that is the name we called it when we played together.

I had lots of dolls and I played with them by myself since brothers don't know how to play dolls. I don't remember being the dolls' mother. I do remember pretending the dolls were orphans and I was in charge of them. I couldn't remember my dolls' names or I changed their names so often the names didn't stick. Suzy was a popular name for my dolls.

But back to the bunnies. My brothers and I played pretend games with stuffed animals like the bunnies and small, molded plastic animals that came in sets. I had a plastic lamb called "Cornelia". Now there is a name for a toy and why can I remember that? I think I was reading a book with a main character named Cornelia.

Anyway, my brothers and I made up fantastic adventures for our animals. We built buildings and roads out of blocks, boxes, and whatever we could find. It was much more fun than playing orphanage alone with my dolls.

This was back before Legos but I did have a set of American plastic bricks and Michael had Lincoln logs. We would build elaborate towns and beg to be allowed to leave them up so we could continue our story the next day.

The TV wasn't on all day long. There were no video games or computers. We found ways to entertain ourselves for hours with our imaginations and basic non-electronic toys.

What do you remember about childhood playtime?

No comments:

Post a Comment