I've just got to share the good stuff I read.

I love to read. I read every chance I get. If I read something really good, I want to share it with my friends and co-workers. I make copies of magazine articles, read aloud to my students, tell others about good books I'm reading, and keep a book with me at all times.

I love teaching and learning new things. I need a place to share some of the lessons and what my students and I learn. Since my teaching situation is different from everyone else's in my school, I would like to tell all of you in the blog-o-sphere about these great lessons.

Feel free to share what you are reading, teaching and learning with us in the comments.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Testing Mirage

I have this analogy in my head about testing, so I'm going to try it out here. I think NCLB testing is like the story of the Emperor's New Clothes. In the story two conmen convince the emperor that they have made him a magnificent new suit of clothes. He parades around naked but everyone is too afraid to say he has nothing on because the conmen said only intelligent people can see the clothes.
The testing promoters are like the conmen. They have convinced everyone that intelligent people see the benefit to students of all the endless testing. And the correlation of test scores to teacher ability. But the emperor is naked. The correlation of test scores is more accurately related to income level. Schools in wealthier areas do better on the tests. In our state there are seven levels to describe school performance on the tests. Four of the levels are negative. How fair is that?
The state that started all this testing frenzy has been shown to have fudged on the results. The only group to benefit from all the testing is....wait for it....THE TESTING COMPANIES!
The public has been deceived. Schools have been labeled failures. Teachers have been vilified.
Where is the honest little boy who will say, "The emperor has NO clothes!"?

No comments:

Post a Comment